Sunshine Speakers Toastmasters
Bylaws Aug.24, 2010
Section 10 amended Nov.3, 2010
1. Quorum – A quorum shall constitute a minimum of 4 executive members present.
2. A new club position of VP of Mentoring created with job description as follows:
*Knowing which members are currently available to mentor and who they are mentoring
*Mentoring the Mentors by keeping in contact with each one and assisting them where needed.
*Checking with new members or members that have requested a Mentor to be sure that they are getting adequate mentoring and if they need further help.
3. How much can be spent by an executive member without getting prior approval from the whole executive body?
*Miscellaneous club expenses up to $25 can be made with prior approval of the club president. *Miscellaneous club expenses beyond $25 must have a quorum of executive approval.
*Club operating expenses up to $50 can be made with prior approval of the club president.
*Club operating expenses beyond $50 must have a quorum of executive approval.
4. All fundraising expenditures will be as per TI guidelines and brought before the membership for approval.
5. Startup kit includes TI material and pin-backed badge. A magnetic badge is available at an additional cost paid by new member.
6. All officer training travel expenses are the responsibility of the individual officer with the exception of entrance fees which the club will cover.
7. All expenses incurred for competitions including travel and fees will be covered by the competitor.
8. Dues over 30 days late will cause that member to become inactive. Said member will no longer have the right to vote, compete in contests, nor be scheduled for speeches or roles. They are welcome to attend as a guest until TI and club dues are paid.
9. Club membership list and email list is for the use of Toastmaster business use only.
* Insert: Interested applicants shall submit an application for approval by the club. All new members shall be declared elected to individual membership upon the favorable vote of the majority of the active members of the club membership present at a club meeting. Insert: Majority means the greater number of those present. Voting shall be done by secret vote on slips of paper after recommendations. Said applicant will be phoned by an executive member with the results. If approved the club will accept the dues, and welcome the new member at the next meeting. It will be handled according to Roberts Rules of Order and TI Standards. This includes Article 2 Section 2 of Toastmasters International constitution.
* All members must conduct themselves in a professional manner as per TI standards when in contact with Sunshine Speakers Toastmasters or other Toastmasters. Sunshine Speakers reserve the right to revoke membership at any time under these guidelines: Article 2, Section 7 Toastmasters International constitution.
Why do we vote members in?
For one thing, it is required by Toastmasters International. It is a protection for you and the club. Although it rarely happens, there have been instances in other areas where an individual was a threat to members or continued to disrupt meetings. By voting the person in, the club has a legal means to vote them back out. We don’t anticipate having to use it here in Powell River but the bylaw, like home insurance is there when needed.
Barb Rees/Past-president Sunshine Speakers